Wednesday, December 22, 2010

the moment in the middle


Hold your breath.
Here it is.
Christmas Eve.
My favorite time of the Christmas Season.
The perfect moment between all the preparations and all of the celebrations.

All is done yet all is yet to come . . .

"It was a moment of perfection he would probably not find again this year, and he sat without moving, almost without breathing. There was the upside of a garden, when one was digging and planting, heaving and hauling, and then the downside, when it was all weeding and grooming and watering and sweating. One had to be fleet to catch the moment in the middle, the mountaintop, when perfection was as brief as the visit of a butterfly to an outstretched palm.

From the book Out to Cannan (the fourth book in the Mitford series)
by: Jan Karon

If you have not read these books - you must!

10 comments:

Holly said...

That was just beautiful! I'm going to catch the moment in the middle this season. Just hold it in my hand and admire it's goodness. Thanks so much for posting!

Diana Ferguson said...

Great post!!!

Christine said...

I get it!
That quiet "mountain top" feeling.
It comes just once a year and it's a powerful feeling.

(now, I need to read the book)

dee dee said...

I just loved these books! One of my favorite series! Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family!
Dee Dee

Just a little something from Judy said...

Love the Mitford Series! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

Wendy said...

Will have to add this series to my wish list! Great post! Happy Holiday's to you and your family!
Wendy

Betsy Brock said...

I hope you have the most wonderful Christmas! I'm so glad you are my bloggy friend!

~Betsy
xxoo

Unknown said...

I could not agree more! Christmas eve is my favorite day of the year!
-LMH

Kimmy said...

You know, I agree. Christmas Eve is the perfect time. So exciting knowing what is to come.

Beth said...

Hi Mary, I love the Mitford series, and this is a beautiful quote, thanks for sharing!