Sunday, May 22, 2011

dressing a salad

My cousin Ann makes the best salad ever
and I thought I would share her recipe with you.


Assemble any salad ingredients you like in a large wooden bowl.

Ours usually includes:
romaine lettuce, thin sliced yellow peppers, grape tomato halves,
shredded purple cabbage, shredded carrots, dried cranberries,
thin seedless cucumber slices, feta cheese, small croutons




Toss the salad with a little extra virgin olive oil
Sprinkle on Cavender's Greek Seasoning [or dried basil] ~ toss again
Sprinkle on Bragg's Liquid Aminos [or balsamic vinegar] ~ toss again
Sprinkle on fresh lemon juice [or Real Lemon in a bottle] ~ toss again

I often "overdress" a salad so I keep some of the greens aside and add them at the end after the salad is dressed. You should be able to find Bragg's Liquid Aminos and Cavender's Greek Seasoning {also comes in a salt free version} at your local supermarket.

Isn't it funny how tossed salad always tastes better when someone else makes it?!

14 comments:

Holly said...

My daughter and I were talking about that yesterday. We were sitting at home and she wanted me to make a salad for her and i wanted her to make it for me. We have the liquid aminos but I'll have to track down the Greek seasoning. Thanks

Wendy said...

We love eating salads, especially in the summer. We are going to add it to this weeks menu! Can't wait to try it.
Wendy

Christine said...

Thank you for the alternatives because we don't have those two "magic" ingredients.

It looks like another key to this salad is to toss it a lot! I'm such a lazy cook I'd just combine everything all at once. Good to know!

Unknown said...

I use Bragg's on my salads all the time with Olive oil and spices but this Caender's sound interesting. In this burg it will take some time to find it. Thanks for the recipe.

Pondside said...

I've heard of that Cavender's and must look for it the next time I'm in WA or Oregon.

Betsy Brock said...

yum...I wrote this down to try this week!

Debbie said...

Looks delicious! I would have to keep the carrots just large enough for a certain person in the house to eat around them. It's a perk of being Mom.

busyascanbe said...

That looks so wonderful. I have heard of Bragg's Liquid Aminos but I haven't used it yet. So I will have to try it.

dee dee said...

Yummy! I could use a good salad!
Dee Dee

Crickit said...

I agree with you that a tossed salad is always better when someone else makes it... not sure why! The dressing looks yummy!

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh we eat salad almost every night and always make our own dressing. I love this recipe. Will have to pick up some Braggs.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

A yummy, fresh looking and delicious salad!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Yum. Thank you. Love vinegar based dressings and I've used Cavender's seasoning in other recipes. Now to look for the balsamic.

Kerri said...

That's MY saying....salad always taste better when someone else makes it! It must be true since you think so too! I will have to try this dressing- thanks for sharing!