Monday, May 25, 2009

paper napkin holder


I subscribe to Martha Stewart's Craft of the day. While I find most of the ideas too difficult or something I would never use, this one intrigued me so I gave it a try. The challenge was to find a plain square 8" cake pan. The ones at discount stores all had handles but I finally found one at a thrift shop. For the aluminum pipe I used a piece from a wind chime that we no longer use.

Breezy afternoons are ideal for lunching outdoors, but they can make a mess of stacked napkins. To create this windproof holder, use a hacksaw to cut a 3/8-inch-diameter aluminum pipe 1/4 inch shorter than the width of a galvanized tray (our tray measures 8 inches square). Dull the cut edges of the pipe by rubbing them with fine-grit sandpaper. Coat the tray and pipe with spray paint, and let dry overnight. Measure the tray's perimeter; cut a piece of elastic cord 2 inches shorter. Slip the cord through the pipe, and tie the ends together; conceal the knot inside pipe. Fill the tray with napkins, and fit the holder around the tray.

No comments: